Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Game Audio 1/3 : Design

Notice that these posts are called "Game Audio", not "Game Music".
One of the tiny problems with young game creators, is that they don't really think about the "Audio" for the game they are planing to create. I think people believe that by licensing a song from an artist will simply solve the "Audio" part of the game, but that is not true.

Music is just one part of the audio, you then have to think about the surrounding sounds. The sounds of the foot steps when your characters move, the sound if your characters pick up things, or hit something. Heck, the sounds at the menu selections.

While I was getting my Bachelor's degree in Simulation & Digital Entertainment at the University of Baltimore, I ALWAYS ended up being "The Audio Guy", namely because I'm also a musician. I to used to think that just making music was all that was needed, boy was I wrong.

Game companies would value you more (and actually want) not just a composer/performer, but also a Sound Designer. One of the projects I was working on during my college days at UB, was an educational game called "Oppie The Otter" for a Fredrick County Health Education project. This otter character would have to jump into the water, swim, pick up food, (that's 3 sounds right there), say things (that's voice over), and then there was the background music for the game.
And yes I did all of it, including the voice of the otter, it was...interesting :)

With a little imagination, and computer software, you can manipulate sounds and create SO many things, not only that, its actually a lot of fun.
I will talk about recording audio DIY Style in an upcoming post in this series.

So if your thinking of creating a cool game, please don't underestimate the power of Audio.
If your thinking of doing Game Audio, don't underestimate all the sounds around you.
Till next time.
Much Love.
Mosno :)


No comments:

Post a Comment