Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Game Audio 3/3 : DIY Recording

Recording is one of the most fun parts of working with audio in my opinion, there are SO MANY ways you can do it. I know that the idea of recording may seem intimidating, but have no fear, I'm here to help, and have you look at it in another light, a fun creative light.

In the past when you hear the word "Studio", you tend to think of a big space, with a huge soundboard, and glass separators, those still do exist if you need or want them. But now in 2013 (soon to be 2014), all that is somewhat in the past.

Enter; DIY Method.
DIY (Do-It-Yourself) is an indie artist's best friend, it really helps you change the way you think of what is really needed, and forces you to be creative AND gives you great results as well.

To have a successful recorded track you need 2 things.
1- Software
2- Hardware
If you have one of each (that work together), then you are good to go.
I'll prove it to you.

Software:
It is wise to use a multi-track recording software, that way you will have the ability to have more than one layer on a single track, which will give you a richer sound.
If you are a MAC user, most of them already come with "Garageband" installed, its actually a great tool.
If you are a PC user, there is a great and cheap alternative called "MixCraft" by an indie company called Acoustica, its basically Garageband for PC, and you can get a perfectly functioning version for about $80, you can even try it for free for 14 days before hand.

Hardware:
A simple usb midi keyboard would do just fine.
I have an M-Audio Oxygen 8 small keyboard, with some search online or your local music store, you can get one for about $80, or a used one for less than that.

Your probably thinking: "Really? Do you think that would really work?".
Yes! you know why? because I successfully created Game Music (& got paid for it) using an old Mac that had Garageband & that Oxygen 8 keyboard, and you can hear those songs on the music page of this blog.

///

Like any other profession, the more audio toys you have, the more complex you can get with your production, and the more fun you will have doing it.

For Example.
I have a little acoustic duo called goatFISH with my musical partner in crime, artist Sahffi Lynne. A couple of years ago we decided that we wanted to record a small 5 song EP of our music. We are both busy artists, so it had to be done on a flexible schedule, so we decided to do it ourselves. She had the space, and I had the technology, so we set up a DIY Recording Studio in her basement.

This was my set up:
Hardware: Zoom R24 (portable multi-track recorder), Instrument & Vocals mics, Mic stands.
Software: Mixcraft 5 to edit and manipulate the audio after recording.
That was it.

We would use the Zoom R24 to record what we needed to record, I then would dump the WAV files into my computer, and use Mixcraft to edit, mix, and even used a "Mastering" filter to help keep the volume of all the track close to each other.
The end result is our EP >>> goatFISH : The Gift of The Nympth

///

You can even go super DUPER indie if you needed (or wanted to).
I remember at one point I needed to do a quick recording of a few songs, but had no money or access to a studio, so I used what I had in my room.

Software: Audacity (yup, the free audio recorder)
Knowing I can't do multi-tracking well with this program, I needed to find a way to record both guitar & vocals at the same time, and have them both sound clean. So I did this:

Hardware:
-I grabbed my 4 Channel Micro Mixer ($30), this has 4 quarter inch (1/4) inputs, which allows you to adjust the volume of each one separately.
-Plugged my guitar into one channel.
-Plugged my microphone into a second channel (using an XLR to 1/4 cable)
-Plugged the "Output" from the Micro Mixer into the "Mic-Input" of my laptop (using a 1/4 to Headphone Jack size 3.5mm adapter on the Laptop's end)
I then simply adjusted the settings in Audacity to pick up what ever is coming in from the laptop's Mic Input, and viola! Instant Indie Recording Mechanism.

I adjusted the volume of the guitar & microphone to my pleasing (because I can only get one take per recording), hit record and did my demo.
Worked like a charm.

///

So you see, that is the beauty of DIY Recording, you can find all sorts of fun and cool ways to get the job done, in fact my latest album NOVELLA which I will be releasing in 2014, was recorded DIY Style, and it sounds AMAZING. You can even watch how we did it at the Making of Novella vLogs.

I say give yourself some credit, and try it out. If you put enough time and imagination, you will be recording sounds and music in no time, and you will have a blast doing it too :)
I hope you enjoyed these short 3 posts about Game Audio, let me know if they were helpful

Till next time.
Much Love.
Mosno


No comments:

Post a Comment